Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Get answers to the most frequently asked questions about the 2022 AMS-SEM-SMT Joint
• Who do I contact for help?
For general questions about the conference, please contact email@example.com
For Society-specific questions, please contact the relevant Society:
AMS office: firstname.lastname@example.org
SEM office: email@example.com
SMT office: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Are there opportunities to volunteer?
Yes! Please note that space is limited. We cannot guarantee all who apply will be assigned a volunteer role. Additional information on volunteer opportunities will be posted in late spring.
• Will there be opportunities to network and socialize?
Yes. There will be many opportunities to network, socialize, and connect with colleagues and friends.
• Will there be an exhibit hall?
Yes, we will have an exhibit hall available to all registrants.
• Will there be a program book?
Absolutely. The program book will be a publicly accessible and fully searchable digital program. It is expected to be available in mid-October.
• How do I reserve an exhibit booth or program book ad?
Packages for exhibitors, advertisers, networking event organizers, and sponsors will be advertised in spring 2022.
• I would like to organize a pre-conference event. Will the 2022 Joint Annual Meeting include pre-conference events, and if so, how do I organize one?
Yes, there will be some pre-conference events associated with the Annual Meeting. If you would like to request pre-conference space, please fill out this reservation request form. Reservations for pre-conference events are granted on a first-come, first-served basis, as space allows. Reservation forms are due 31 March 2022.
• When will the annual meeting take place?
The Societies will meet 10-13 November 2022 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
• In what time zone will the meeting take place?
The meeting will take place in the Central Daylight Time Zone.
• When will the schedule for the conference be made available?
The program schedule will be made available in August 2022.
• When can I register and what will it cost?
Early registration will be available on or before 1 July 2022 through 5 October 2022. Regular registration rates are in effect from 6 October 2022 through 9 November 2022. See registration rate table below.
|Rate Category||Early (7/1/2022–10/5/2022)||Regular (10/6/2022–11/9/2022)|
|AMS-SEM-SMT Members||Student, retired, or low-income||$85.00||$115.00|
|Non-Members||Student, retired, or low-income||$165.00||$195.00|
On-site registration surcharge: $20
Undergrad Registration: $0
One-day registration: $115
• Are there ways to have the registration fee waived?
Yes! AMS volunteers will receive a waiver of the registration fee in exchange for six hours of service. Please note that space is limited. We cannot guarantee all who apply will be assigned a volunteer role. Additional information on volunteer opportunities will be posted in late spring.
• Can I register a group for the 2022 Annual Meeting?
Yes, you can register groups of 15 or more students for the Annual Meeting using the group registration form. Information on group registration will be posted when registration opens.
• Do graduate students require institutional affiliation to qualify for the student group registration rate?
No. Groups of 15 or more graduate students qualify for the group registration rate, regardless of institutional affiliation.
• Are presenters and chairs required to register for the Annual Meeting?
Yes, presenters, chairs and discussants/respondents are all required to register for the Annual Meeting.
• Is there a cancellation policy?
Yes. Refund requests will be honored if received on or before 24 October 2022 and are subject to a $20 processing fee.
Proposals & Submissions
• I have submitted a proposal to the Societies previously. Do I need to create a new account to submit a proposal for 2022?
Yes. Even if you have submitted a proposal to one of the Societies in a previous year, you will need to create a new account to submit a proposal for the 2022 Annual Meeting.
• What is the AMS Alternate Years Rule and to which proposal types does it apply?
The AMS Alternate Years Rule restricts the participation of individuals in successive meeting years. The AMS Alternate Years Rule is suspended for the 2022 Annual Meeting.
• Can I submit multiple proposals of the same or different proposal types?
Maybe. One proposal per person per Society is permitted for the 2022 Annual Meeting.
• May I submit a proposal even if I am not a member?
The AMS accepts proposals from both members and non-members. SEM will accept proposals from non-members, but they must purchase an SEM membership if their proposal is accepted. SMT will accept proposals from non-members, but they must purchase an SMT membership if their proposal is accepted.
• I prefer email: can I just email my proposal to you?
No. Emailed proposal submissions will not be considered.
• Are proposals read anonymously (i.e., with the names of participants hidden from the committee)?
AMS roundtable, workshop, and film proposals are read openly, and all the names of participants are given to readers (and should be included in the proposal). AMS individual proposals and sessions are read anonymously until the final stages of the committee’s work. All SEM-only sessions are reviewed anonymously. All SMT-only sessions are reviewed anonymously.
• I am planning a Study Group or Committee session and would like to invite a guest speaker. Is funding available?
Yes. AMS awards grants of up to $1,500. Proposals are due 17 January 2022. Visit the AMS Guest Speaker Fund page for additional information. SMT awards grants for events at the annual meeting; applications are due 15 July 2022. Visit the SMT funding page for more information.
• I am organizing a Study Group proposal. How do I submit this for Program Committee consideration?
To submit an AMS study group or committee session proposal, use the submission portal and select AMS study group or committee session proposal.
• Will I receive confirmation upon submitting my proposal?
Yes. All presenters on a proposal submission will receive a confirmation email. Please note that confirmation emails are automatically generated and may be quarantined in your spam folder, so be sure to check your spam folder.
• Can I volunteer as a proposal reviewer?
The AMS invites AMS members with a PhD in musicology or a related field, but who are not submitting a proposal, to serve as proposal reviewers. To volunteer to serve as a proposal reviewer, please complete the sign-up form by 1 February 2022. SEM and SMT are not calling for volunteers to serve as proposal reviewers.
Question not answered? Send it to email@example.com and it will be added to this list.