Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Get answers to the most frequently asked questions about the 2022 AMS-SEM-SMT Joint
• Who do I contact for help?
For general questions about the conference, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For Society-specific questions, please contact the relevant Society:
AMS office: email@example.com
SEM office: firstname.lastname@example.org
SMT office: email@example.com
• Are there opportunities to volunteer?
Yes! But please note that space is limited. We cannot guarantee all who apply will be assigned a volunteer role. Learn more and apply on the volunteer page.
• Will there be opportunities to network and socialize?
Yes. There will be many opportunities to network, socialize, and connect with colleagues and friends.
• Will there be an exhibit hall?
Yes, we will have an exhibit hall available to all registrants.
• Will there be a program book?
Absolutely. The meeting’s online, searchable program is available now! Explore the online program and begin planning your conference experience. The Program Guide, a searchable PDF with information about exhibitors, sponsors, special sessions and more, will be available in mid-October.
• How do I reserve my hotel room?
Information on accommodations at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside Hotel is available here. The Hilton New Orleans Riverside will serve as the location for the 2022 Joint Annual Meeting. Most events and services, including registration and help desks, will be located there. All hotel bookings must be made by 14 October 2022.
• Is there a deadline to reserve an exhibit booth or program book ad?
Meeting and event reservations must be reserved by 1 July 2022. Late requests will be considered as space allows.
Exhibit booth orders must be placed by 1 September 2022.
Advertisements must be reserved by 9 September 2022 to appear in the preliminary and final Program Guide. Advertisements must be reserved by 30 September 2022 to appear in the final Program Guide.
Sponsorships must be pledged by 9 September 2022 to appear in the preliminary and final Program Guide. Sponsorships must be pledged by 30 September 2022 to appear in the final Program Guide.
• Is there a deadline to provide Conference Program Guide materials?
Materials for the Preliminary Conference Program Guide are due to the event organizers by 9 September 2022. To appear in the Final Conference Program Guide, submit materials to the event organizers by 30 September 2022.
• How do I request accessibility accommodations?
Requests for accessibility support can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests are handled confidentially by the AMS, SEM, and SMT staff and are not shared.
• Will attendees at the 2022 Joint Annual Meeting be photographed?
The 2022 AMS-SEM-SMT Joint Annual Meeting will have photographers and videographers on site to capture a visual record of select meetings and activities. This visual record is for the organizers’ use only and may appear on the societies’ websites, newsletters, and social media streams. In registering for this event, you acknowledge that you may be photographed and waive the right to inspect or approve such images before posting. The photo release policy is posted on the website.
• Is there an anti-harassment policy?
Yes. Harassment is unacceptable and will not be tolerated at the AMS-SEM-SMT 2022 Joint Annual Meeting. All attendees and participants must agree to abide by the meeting anti-harassment policy at registration. The full text of the policy is linked from the registration form and posted on the meeting website.
• Are there additional resources for people looking for information about accessibility in the city of New Orleans?
Yes. The New Orleans Visitors’ Bureau has resources on accessibility to help visitors navigate the city. The Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport has guidelines on airport accessibility.
• Is there a childcare or family care reimbursement available to attendees?
Yes. SMT offers family care grants to those SMT members whose attendance at the Annual Meeting incurs extra family care expenses. The deadline to apply for SMT family care grants is September 15. AMS offers family care reimbursements to AMS members whose attendance at the Annual Meeting incurs extra family care expenses. Reimbursement requests must be submitted via the payment request form no later than 28 November 2022. Submitters should select “Other” for Program Type and list “Childcare/Family Care Reimbursement” in the Program Name. Submitters should also include receipts. AMS family care reimbursements will cover 50% of expenses, up to a reimbursement total of $200. SEM offers its members childcare reimbursements of up to $150 each. Please see the Childcare page on the SEM website for details.
• I am interested in finding a roommate for the 2022 AMS-SEM-SMT Joint Annual Meeting. Are there resources to help me find a roommate?
If you are looking to share lodging during the 2022 AMS-SEM-SMT Joint Annual Meeting, please fill out the roommate locator form. The answers will be shared weekly with other participants who have also filled out the form. Participants will use the information to make contact with one another and arrange to share lodging.
• What are you doing to reduce the likelihood of COVID-19 transmission during the 2022 AMS-SEM-SMT Joint Annual Meeting?
A number of things. We are requiring vaccination, implementing reduced contact protocols, encouraging masking, holding events outdoors, and more. See our COVID-19 Policies and Precautions page for details.
• Does the 2022 AMS-SEM-SMT Joint Annual Meeting have a COVID-19 vaccine requirement?
Yes. Registered attendees must provide proof of vaccination with a WHO-approved COVID-19 vaccine. Alternatively, those who cannot or do not wish to be vaccinated may instead elect to: 1) provide proof of a negative COVID-19 viral test within 3 days of the start of the conference; and 2) report the results of daily antigen testing during the conference.
• Does the COVID-19 vaccine requirement include a requirement that I have a booster shot?
No, you are not required to have received a COVID-19 booster shot to meet the vaccine requirement. However, we do strongly recommend that all attendees receive a booster shot in the 2-6 weeks prior to the conference. Doing so will further reduce your susceptibility to COVID-19 and further lessen the probability of a severe disease episode if you are infected.
• Why are you requiring vaccination?
Music studies is important, but it should not be a life and death matter. We want to reduce the chances that anyone will suffer from a severe case of COVID-19 as a result of attending our meeting. And WHO-approved COVID-19 vaccines have been reliably shown to reduce the severity of COVID-19 infections.
• How will you verify vaccination status?
Verification of vaccination status will be handled by conference partner, CLEARED4. We are using CLEARED4’s HIPAA-compliant platform and verification team to facilitate the uploading and verification of vaccine cards. Beginning in mid-September, all registrants will receive an invitation to upload their vaccine information to the CLEARED4 platform. If you do not receive an upload invitation within 7 days of registering for the conference, or if you have problems with the platform, please contact us at email@example.com.
• Why are you beginning vaccine verification in September? And what are the consequences of delaying my vaccine card upload?
As part of our overall efforts to limit the spread of COVID-19, we have implemented reduced contact protocols that include the mailing of badges to all U.S. registrants in the month before the conference. If you are a U.S. resident, you must upload your vaccine card before 5 October 2022 to receive your badge by mail and avoid lines at the Registration Desk.
• What should I do if I am unable or unwilling to be vaccinated?
Attendees who are unable or unwilling to verify their vaccination status may still attend the conference by uploading a negative COVID-19 test three (3) days before the start of the conference AND each morning of the conference. If you wish to avail yourself of this option, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can update your CLEARED4 record and ensure that you only receive messaging applicable to attendees who have elected to test.
• Will I have to wear a mask at the 2022 AMS-SEM-SMT Joint Annual Meeting?
Yes. We ask that all attendees wear a surgical mask or higher-level respirator (e.g., N95, KN95, KF94, etc.) when indoors and not actively presenting, eating or drinking.
• I am a presenter. Do I have to wear a mask while I am presenting?
No. No one will be expected to wear a mask while actively presenting, eating or drinking. However, we are keenly aware that different attendees face different levels of disease risk. So, if you wish to wear a mask while presenting, you are welcome to do so.
- I am a presenter and would like to avoid the risk of COVID-19 entirely. May I present remotely?
No. Although the Societies may choose to live stream, record, or pre-record select sessions, remote presentation is not generally an option at the 2022 AMS-SEM-SMT Joint Annual Meeting. However, you may request that a colleague deliver your paper by proxy.
- I am a presenter and would like to present by proxy. What do I need to do?
In general terms, to present by proxy at the AMS-SEM-SMT 2022 Joint Annual Meeting you must: 1) register for the conference; 2) request permission to present by proxy; 3) recruit a proxy who will be present at the conference and is registered to attend; 4) inform your session chair; and 5) ensure your proxy has all the materials, information and equipment necessary to present. (Note: Proxies may deliver presentations orally or by playing a pre-recorded presentation video. SEM will require pre-recorded videos for approved proxy requests.)
If you are approved to present by proxy it is your obligation to ensure the following:
- That your substitute presenter (proxy) has the presentation materials in hand when they arrive at the session, including any equipment necessary to share the presentation.
- That you and your proxy are both registered for the 2022 AMS-SEM-SMT Joint Annual Meeting by 4 October 2022. (This is the deadline for all chairs and presenters to register.)
NOTE: AMS, SEM and SMT separately approve requests to present by proxy for the sessions organized by their own committees and affiliates. Each society reserves the right to approve or reject requests to present by proxy according to its own established procedures, requirements, and protocols. For more information about society-specific policies affecting proxy presentation, contact the society in question:
Eduardo Herrera (SEM 2022 Program Chair), email@example.com
Stephen Stuempfle (SEM Executive Director), firstname.lastname@example.org
• I would like to attend the conference, but would like to avoid the risk of COVID-19. May I listen or attend remotely?
No. Although the Societies may choose to livestream, record, or pre-record select sessions or presentations, remote attendance will not generally be an option at the 2022 AMS-SEM-SMT Joint Annual Meeting.
• Allowing remote presentation and/or remote attendance would make the meeting much more accessible. So, why not allow these things?
Alas, the cost of providing reliable infrastructure for remote attendance and/or presentation at a U.S. conference hotel is very high. If we made the meeting hybrid, we would greatly increase the costs for A/V support, equipment, and Wi-Fi bandwidth. And, of course, we would be forced to pass along those increased costs to attendees in the form of significantly higher registration fees. We decided against this.
• When will the annual meeting take place?
The Societies will meet 10-13 November 2022 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
• In what time zone will the meeting take place?
The meeting will take place in the Central Daylight Time Zone.
• When will the schedule for the conference be made available?
The program schedule will be made available in August 2022.
• When can I register and what will it cost?
Early registration will be available on or before 15 June 2022 through 5 October 2022. Regular registration rates are in effect from 6 October 2022 through 9 November 2022. See registration rate table below.
|Rate Category||Early (6/1/2022–10/5/2022)||Regular (10/6/2022–11/9/2022)|
|AMS-SEM-SMT Members||Student, retired, or low-income||$95.00||$125.00|
|Non-Members||Student, retired, or low-income||$175.00||$205.00|
On-site registration surcharge: $20
Undergrad Registration: $0
One-day registration: $130
• Are there ways to have the registration fee waived?
Yes! Conference volunteers will receive a waiver of the registration fee in exchange for six hours of service. Please note that space is limited. We cannot guarantee all who apply will be assigned a volunteer role. Learn more and apply on the volunteer page.
• Can I register a group for the 2022 Annual Meeting?
Yes, you can register groups of 15 or more students for the Annual Meeting using the group registration form. Additional information on student group registration is now available.
• Do graduate students require institutional affiliation to qualify for the student group registration rate?
No. Groups of 15 or more graduate students qualify for the group registration rate, regardless of institutional affiliation.
• Are presenters and chairs required to register for the Annual Meeting?
Yes, presenters, chairs and discussants/respondents are all required to register for the Annual Meeting.
• Is there a cancellation policy?
Yes. Refund requests will be honored if received on or before 24 October 2022 and are subject to a $20 processing fee.
Proposals & Submissions
• I have submitted a proposal to the Societies previously. Do I need to create a new account to submit a proposal for 2022?
Yes. Even if you have submitted a proposal to one of the Societies in a previous year, you will need to create a new account to submit a proposal for the 2022 Annual Meeting.
• What is the AMS Alternate Years Rule and to which proposal types does it apply?
The AMS Alternate Years Rule restricts the participation of individuals in successive meeting years. The AMS Alternate Years Rule is suspended for the 2022 Annual Meeting.
• Can I submit multiple proposals of the same or different proposal types?
Maybe. One proposal per person per Society is permitted for the 2022 Annual Meeting.
• May I submit a proposal even if I am not a member?
The AMS accepts proposals from both members and non-members. SEM will accept proposals from non-members, but they must purchase an SEM membership if their proposal is accepted. SMT will accept proposals from non-members, but they must purchase an SMT membership if their proposal is accepted.
• I prefer email: can I just email my proposal to you?
No. Emailed proposal submissions will not be considered.
• Are proposals read anonymously (i.e., with the names of participants hidden from the committee)?
AMS roundtable, workshop, and film proposals are read openly, and all the names of participants are given to readers (and should be included in the proposal). AMS individual proposals and sessions are read anonymously until the final stages of the committee’s work. All SEM-only sessions are reviewed anonymously. All SMT-only sessions are reviewed anonymously.
• I am organizing a Study Group proposal. How do I submit this for Program Committee consideration?
To submit an AMS study group or committee session proposal, use the submission portal and select AMS study group or committee session proposal.
• Will I receive confirmation upon submitting my proposal?
Yes. All presenters on a proposal submission will receive a confirmation email. Please note that confirmation emails are automatically generated and may be quarantined in your spam folder, so be sure to check your spam folder.
Question not answered? Send it to email@example.com and it will be added to this list.